Excelsior Correspondent
Srinagar, Feb 16: More than three dozen families in central Kashmir’s Budgam district today alleged that the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has failed to release enhanced compensation for land acquired for the Srinagar Ring Road project, despite an award being prepared by the Collector last year.
The aggrieved landowners have appealed to Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari to intervene and ensure the immediate release of their payments.
According to the affected families, around 600 acres of agricultural land were acquired in 2019 for the construction of the Srinagar Ring Road.
They said that while initial payments were made, the landowners approached the J&K High Court seeking enhanced compensation.
In 2023, the High Court directed the authorities to pay 20 percent additional compensation, they said.
The J&K Government subsequently filed an appeal against the order, which was later rejected by the Supreme Court of India.
The aggrieved farmers said that following the court rulings, the Collector Land Acquisition Budgam, prepared the final award in November last year.
Vide communication number DCB/LAC/2025-26/1127-29 dated November 27, 2025, the Collector forwarded detailed documents to the Project Director, NHAI Srinagar, for the release of over Rs 125 crore in favour of landowners from Wathoora village in Chadoora area of Budgam district.
However, the compensation has not been disbursed so far, they alleged.
“We have already suffered losses as our land had a higher market value. If the award was finalized over three months ago, we fail to understand why the compensation is still being withheld,” said Nazir Ahmad, an aggrieved farmer from Wathoora Chadoora.
The post Ring Road landowners allege compensation delay appeared first on Daily Excelsior.
