Thanks Shah for reopening of tourist destinations
Irfan Tramboo
Srinagar, Feb 17: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said that the J&K Government is in continuous dialogue with the Centre for the restoration of statehood, asserting that he remains hopeful despite the delay.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO
Speaking to reporters here after attending a workshop on Tele-Law organised by the Ministry of Law and Justice, Omar said the Government has been waiting for over a year for progress on the issue.
Follow the Daily Excelsior channel on WhatsApp
“We have been waiting for more than a year. We are hopeful that there will not be much more delay. We will not be satisfied until statehood is restored,” he said.
He noted that the process is underway, though it is taking more time than expected.
“We had hoped it would have been restored by now, but that has not happened. However, we have not lost hope and are continuously in dialogue with the Centre,” he said.
He added that he had heard Union Minister (Arjun Ram Meghwal) indicating that some “good news” may be forthcoming in this regard.
On the reopening of tourist destinations in Kashmir and Jammu, Abdullah said he had taken up the matter with Union Home Minister Amit Shah during his recent visit to Jammu and earlier in New Delhi.
He thanked Home Minister Amit Shah for the decision.
“There was no point in keeping them shut. Even during worse situations in the past, these spots were not closed. He assured me that directions had been issued for reopening them,” he said.
Omar noted that people dependent on tourism had suffered losses due to the closures.
“The season has started, and I am hopeful that tourists will now explore these areas, bringing relief to local stakeholders,” he said.
Taking a swipe at the BJP over what he termed a “dual approach” towards Jammu and Kashmir, Omar alleged a mismatch between the party’s words and actions.
He said that a nominated Member of Parliament from J&K had spent over 90 per cent of constituency development funds in Uttar Pradesh instead of the Union Territory.
“What they say and what they do are often different. There is a clear mismatch,” he remarked.
On power supply during the holy month of Ramzan, the Chief Minister assured that the Government would ensure effective electricity supply during Sehri and Iftari hours.
“Power deficit is not something new and will be addressed once new projects become operational. However, we will ensure minimum inconvenience and take all necessary measures,” he said.
Responding to protests by daily wagers, Omar reiterated that the Government had already committed in the Assembly to regularising them under a defined process within the year.
He said threats and protests were not going to help anyone.
“I have said in the Assembly that they will be regularised this year as per the process. If anyone is trying to use them for political benefit, they should avoid doing so,” he said.
He added, “With love, I am ready to do anything possible. But threats will not help. Protests are not good for them or their future. There is no need to come out on the roads; they should speak to me directly.”
Earlier, addressing the gathering at the event, Omar said that “justice delayed is justice denied” and highlighted the mounting workload on courts, stressing the need to address the growing pendency of cases.
Referring to the constitutional guarantee of justice, he said that every citizen has the right to timely justice.
“It is often said that justice delayed is justice denied. If both these aspects are taken together, it becomes clear that there is immense pressure and workload on the courts,” he observed.
The Chief Minister noted that while new cases continue to be filed, older cases remain pending, leading to a steady rise in pendency despite efforts by the judiciary and the Government to reduce it.
He said pendency can be tackled through speedy disposal of cases, reduction of legacy cases and controlling the inflow of new cases.
“However, if these approaches are taken separately, there will be no real success. The major focus must be on ensuring that fewer new cases reach the courts. Only those matters should reach the judiciary where intervention is absolutely necessary,” he said.
Highlighting the role of Tele-Law, Omar said potential litigants can be made aware of the law, their rights and the option of mediation before approaching the courts.
“If disputes are resolved before reaching the courts, the burden on the judiciary will automatically decrease,” he said.
He pointed out that while those living in cities have easier access to legal assistance, people in far-off areas often lack awareness about their rights and access to lawyers.
Under the DISHA initiative, he said, Tele-Law services are connecting people with lawyers through technology.
“We have seen its success through the videos shown today. Earlier, only two districts were covered in J&K; now all 20 districts and about 4,000 panchayats have been covered, and over 7.5 lakh advisories have been provided,” he said.
However, he added that numbers alone do not reflect effectiveness.
“I am not aware whether it is working optimally in J&K or not. This workshop will help us understand where we stand and how successful we have been. We will compare our performance with other states and learn best practices that can be replicated here,” he said.
Emphasising the broader objective, Omar said, “Everyone should receive justice, and that too within a reasonable time. That should be our aim.”
The post Govt in talks with Centre over restoration of Statehood: Omar appeared first on Daily Excelsior.
